The CoVid pandemic has increased the need for kids to use smart devices in their learning activities.
Keeping kids safe from the nastier, potentially harmful side of the internet is a big ask. Doubly so in a world where smartphones offer unmonitored access to everything from graphic adult content to gambling sites.
That’s not the only worry. There’s also the risk of cyber-predators and cyberbullies, as well as online scams and games with in-app payments that mean kids could accidentally run up huge bills. And that’s before you consider the as-yet-undetermined effects that over-exposure to the internet could be having on the development of young minds.
If you must get your children Android Portable Devices, you need to follow the below steps to be safe:
1. Register a Gmail account for them with the correct age and with your email as the parent.
2. Install Google Family Link on your own phone.
3. Add their registered e-mail to your Google Family Link.
4. Factory Reset their android device if they already have one then log in to the device with their own Gmail account that is linked to your Google Family Link.
5. If it is a new device, make sure it is their Gmail you use to activate the device.
6. Immediately after you carry out steps 4 & 5 above, your phone will get a notification to allow them to activate the device, this is the beginning of you taking control from anywhere.
7. All adult content of any form will never load on their phone.
8. They cannot install anything without your approval remotely from the Family Link.
9. You can lock their device from anywhere.
10. You can set a start and stop time for their device usage, the phone will lock when it gets to that time even if you forget.
11. YouTube will not allow them to see adult content too.
12. There is also YKids, which is YouTube for Kids, I recommend you remove the normal YouTube and give them YKids.
13. From your Google Family Link, you can see how long they stayed on each app or page to warn them where necessary.
14. You will see as many as major details of the app.
Dear Parents, let’s protect the morality of Children