The Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) has said it made a fundamental mistake in the coronavirus (COVID-19) update on Thursday, 23 April 2020 where it announced that one of the tests conducted in Bulawayo had turned out positive, thus taking the confirmed number of cases to 29.
In a statement on Friday morning, MoHCC said the positive result was not for a new case but from a re-test of a case that has been reported previously. The statement read in part:
The Ministry would like to report that of the 101 PCR tests done in Bulawayo which had pending results on the 22nd of April 2020, one was positive for COVID-19.
However, the positive result was not for a new case but from a re-test of a case that has been reported previously.
The re-test was conducted in line with WHO guidelines for confirming clinical recovery.
Therefore, the positive result from Bulawayo was not for a new case.
… the Ministry continues to be on HIGH alert to the COVID-19 pandemic and would like to remind the nation that, the most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to practise good personal hygiene and exercise social distancing.