Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube released a statement announcing that civil servants will be paid in USD.
Government has released the following communication:
PAYMENT OF CIVIL SERVICE COVID-19 ALLOWANCES AND SALARY REVIEW
Pursuant to Government’s commitment to continuously review and improve the remuneration framework for Civil Servants, taking into account the transitory economic challenges being currently experienced in the country, which have been exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic, Government makes the following announcement: –
1. With immediate effect, all Civil Servants’ Salaries will be adjusted upwards by 50%. This increase also applies to all Government Pensions.
2. In addition, all Civil Servants will be paid a flat, non-taxable, Covid-19 Allowance of USD75.00 per month.
3. Government Pensioners will be paid a flat, non-taxable, Covid-19 Allowance of USD30.00 per month.
4. Government has taken due regard of the fact that addressing the wage challenges faced across the Civil Service, any salary reviews will need to be done within a holistic framework in order to ensure that such a review does not impose a negative shock in the market.
5. This interim arrangement is for period of 3 months, starting from June 2020.