Fresh violence erupts in Johannesburg
At least two people have died and dozens arrested following fresh xenophobic attacks in South Africa’s Johannesburg city on Sunday.
It is alleged that a group of men had raided the city’s central business district on Sunday morning, demanding that foreigners leave the area.
The city’s police chief David Tembe confirmed that two people had died from gunshot wounds and stabbing, adding that cars, buildings, and businesses had been vandalized.
“I think this is pure criminality because some of the shops that were burned did not belong to the foreigners, it belonged to South Africans,’‘ Tembe said.
Bullet points of major incidents around the issue:
- South Africa police operation to verify foreigners in Pretoria
- Ghana confirms the injury of three citizens, the arrest of five others
- Nigeria FM slams South African counterpart
- Madagascar calls off friendly with South Africa
- Air Tanzania suspends flights to South Africa
- Anti-South Africa protests in DRC
- Nigerian Airline to airlift citizens back home for free
- South Africa says arrests at 289, the death toll stands at 5
- Kenya says two of its citizens were killed
- South Africa must do more to stop xenophobia – Amnesty International
- Nigeria issues South Africa Travel Advisory
- Local airline, Air Peace, offers free evacuation of Nigerians
- Nigeria pulls out of World Economic Forum on Africa, ongoing in Cape Town
- Reprisal attacks were recorded in Lagos and Ibadan
- Abuja issued a statement calling for calm and restraint
- Nigeria police beef up security at SA-owned businesses
- The regional body, Southern Africa Development Community, SADC; voices condemnation
- Botswana issues South Africa travel advisory
- MTN shuts all shops across Nigeria
- Zambia shuts three South African malls
- Zambia football body cancels match with SA
September 7, 2019: Nigeria debunks explosion at SA embassy in Abuja
The Nigerian government on Saturday dispelled reports that there had been an explosion at the Abuja premises of the South African embassy.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed told the media that the reports that had been making the rounds were untrue and that no such incident had taken place.
A statement by his media aide said the “explosion” was fake news orchestrated by the desperate opposition to cause panic and chaos among the populace.
The Police also called the report classic fake news. “Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force has provided adequate security in and around all South African Missions and related business interests,” their statement read in part.
South African businesses were targeted earlier this week in reprisal attacks by some Nigerians after a surge in xenophobic violence saw other Africans attacked in Johannesburg and other areas.
The South African embassy closed its doors in the wake of the security threats that officials were receiving. Some businesses like MTN and Shoprite closed their shops for fear of attacks.
The Nigerian government also issued a travel advisory for South Africa, pulled out of the World Economic Forum on Africa – which took place in Caper Town and recalled its envoy.
A private airline, Air Peace, has since offered to evacuate citizens who are willing to voluntarily return but the move has been hampered as a result of the lack of proper documentation of some of the applicants.
The above video is another classical example of a disingenuous piece of Fake News. There was no explosion in the South African High Commission or any other part of Nigeria today. The public is therefore advised to disregard the information in its entirety. pic.twitter.com/tkNF4kup8p
— Nigeria Police Force (@PoliceNG) September 7, 2019