1 x chocolate sponge cake recipe, to make 2 x 20 cm round cake layers
Chocolate buttercream icing
200 g butter, softened
325 g (2½ cups) Huletts Icing Sugar
5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
30 ml (2 T) fresh cream
100g (1 cup) cocoa
350 g chocolate chips
200 g mini chocolate balls with honeycomb centres (Whispers), halved
5 – 8 chocolate-coated biscuits, roughly broken into chunks
10 – 12 mini marshmallows
600 g plain cooking chocolate, chopped
125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- Make the chocolate cake layers and allow them to cool completely.
- Chocolate buttercream icing: Beat the butter and icing sugar together until light and creamy. Add vanilla essence, cream, and cocoa and beat until a smooth and spreadable consistency is reached. (Add a splash of milk, if required.)
- Sandwich the cake layers together using a portion of the buttercream icing, spread the rest evenly around the sides and top of the cake.
- Take a handful of the chocolate chips and carefully but firmly press into the sides of the cake. Cover the top of the cake with the chocolate balls, biscuits and marshmallows.
- Heat the cooking chocolate and cream in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top and down the sides of the cake.